so i went ahead and backed out my changes from last night.

there are now no hardcoded limits on the sizes of the name, type, units, and value in a gmetric message.

if added the following defines in protocol.x
#define GANGLIA_MTU     1500
#define UDP_HEADER_SIZE 28

#define GANGLIA_MAX_XDR_MESSAGE_LEN (GANGLIA_MTU - UDP_HEADER_SIZE - 8)

that means that the total length of the name, value, type and units strings cannot exceed 1448 bytes.

1500 MTU - 28 for UDP header - 8 for discriminant union - 16 for string int lengths = 1448

please test this code and let me know. it's really even less changes than before... just checking if a buffer gets full and erroring out.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  http://massie.us