I was curious if there has ever been any thought given to the idea of allowing
gmond to dynamically load metric functions rather than having them compiled
in?  I have added some of my own, and I know that it is non-trivial to add new
ones.  The testing cycle is longer too because of the need to recompile gmond
everytime an update to the code is made.

Would it be possible to have gmond use functions like dlopen (and friends) to
load in the needed functions when it starts up?  Then it would become much
easier to add new metrics and debug them, or even to replace the current
metrics with locally customized versions.  Another nice thing would be that it
could be used to create a thin wrapper around external programs like perl
scripts that gather metrics.  Rather than using gmetric to send the values, it
could then pass through gmond.  This would allow gmond to handle scheduling of
when the script runs, apply its "threshold logic" to the returned value, etc.

If I ever get some free time, I wouldn't mind working on something like that.
But before I do, I wanted to find out if there was anything inherent in
ganglia that would prevent this from being feasible.

-- Rick

Rick Mohr
Systems Developer
Ohio Supercomputer Center