As I understand it, there's an upstream ganglia spec file, one
maintained by a SUSE packager, and the one I'm now maintaining for
Fedora Extras (and quite possibly specs for other rpm-based distros). At
the suggestion of Bernard Li, who maintains the upstream spec, I thought
we could start some discourse on how we might reduce the number of spec
files, or at least strive for more consistency.

Note that Fedora has some fairly stringent packaging guidelines
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines and
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageReviewGuidelines, among other
pages). While I started out with the upstream spec as a base to get
ganglia into Fedora Extras, I ended up scrapping it and rewriting from
scratch, due to the volume of change required to meet Fedora guidelines.
Now the diff between the upstream spec and my spec is now more than two
times the length of either spec. :\

For reference, my spec can be seen here:
http://wilsonet.com/packages/ganglia/ganglia.spec

--
Jarod Wilson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]