Hi folks,

--- Marcus Rueckert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 2006-09-03 00:36:29 -0700, matt massie wrote:
> > i wanted to comment on the who "srclib" library business.  there
> are two
> > separate issues that need to be addressed.
> >
> > first.
> >
> > i feel it is critically important that gmond be statically linked
> > against all support libraries.  there are sysadmins our there
> managing
> > 1000s of ganglia machines and having a single statically linked
> binary
> > makes it easy for them.  imagine needing to do a yum update on
> thousands
> > of hosts in order to make sure all rpm dependencies are met on
> upgrade.
> >   ouch.  imagine using an os without a package manager and managing
> > library dependencies.  ooouch.
>
> it is not this worse. people do that all the time. and where is the
> problem of installing 3 packages instead of 1? most likely they have
> installed a few other packages already anyway.

 As I said before, I do not care to much either way. I am just
interested that the non-mainstream OSes get a chance to build as easy
as possible.

 In any case, after the releaese of 3.0.4 we definitely should separate
"libmetrics" from the other "srclib" stuff. "libmetrics" is integral
part of Ganglia and should move up one level, or into "lib/".

 Whether we keep apr/confuse/expat in "srclib" or generate a separate
tarball? Whatever is better from a logistics POV suits me fine. :-)

> > second.
> >
> > i don't really care one way or another how the source for the
> support
> > libraries gets on the _compile_ host since we will statically link
> > against those libraries anyway.  having them in the "srclib"
> directory
> > gives us more control and makes it easier for people to download
> and
> > compile.  although it also makes packaging and maintenance for us a
> lot
> > harder.
>
> statically linking stuff is a maintenance nightmare.
> anyway it should be optionally possible to dynamically link.

 why would it be a maintenance nichtmare? All other system libraries
are linked shared. It only involves the three foreign packages. Just
curious?

> The idea is to improve the package coverage of ganglia, so you dont
> have
> the need of pushing around statically compiled versions.
> And nothing stops packages from providing the statically linked
> binary.
> Statically linked against the libraries shipped with the distro of
> course.

Cheers
Martin

Martin Knoblauch