All,

I want to recap a few things about the windows gmond agent.

A windows version of the ganglia server (gmetad etc) does not exist.
The windows versions of gmond and gmetric do exist, but with caveats.

The windows agent is compiled under cygwin and runs under cygwin.
Using cygwin for gmond.exe seemed reasonable - one would be able
to clone the linux agent code and get a windows agent going quickly.

Unfortunately it is cygwin itself (and not ganglia) that causes problems
by not imlpementing all the metrics that it should in /proc.

So the cygwin things wrong include:

Not implemented:         load_one, load_five, load_15, proc_run,
proc_total.
Partially implemented:  memory metrics (e.g. mem_free), and memory
metrics
                        do not report total memory correctly above 2.5
gig or so.
Broken I think:         disk space metrics.

So you get enough metrics for an HPC cluster (maybe), but not nearly
enough
 for general computing machines.

Most crippling of all is that the PHP code for the user interface
specifically
uses load_one to either dislplay in a graph or it is used for list
ordering etc.
In other graphs, say the memory_report, if a metric is not recorded then
the whole graph fails to render even if other metrica for the graph are
present.

A native windows agent may be available from a company in switzerland.
I can supply a contact if you like.

Richard Grevis
Production Architecture
Barclays Capital, Canary Wharf, London, E14 4BB
*DDI : +44 (0) 20 7773 4915
 * richard.grevis

For more information about Barclays Capital, please visit our web site at
http://www.barcap.com.

Internet communications are not secure and therefore the Barclays Group does
not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.  Although the
Barclays Group operates anti-virus programmes, it does not accept
responsibility for any damage whatsoever that is caused by viruses being
passed.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do
not necessarily represent those of the Barclays Group.  Replies to this email
may be monitored by the Barclays Group for operational or business reasons.