Alex/Paul,

gmetric trace snippet (strings, not binary):

connect(4, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(8659),
sin_addr=inet_addr("10.125.85.27")}, 16) =
write(3, "\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\5float\0\0\0\0\0\0\20procs-per-se"..., 72) = 72

Now netcat of headnode of above cluster snippet:
        <METRIC NAME="procs-per-second" VAL="9" TYPE="float"
UNITS="procs/sec"
        TN="10" TMAX="5" DMAX="300" SLOPE="both" SOURCE="gmetric"/>
equals more than 72 bytes.

If I understand this correctly, it means that the XML stream contributes
as much to
network load as gmond's UDP traffic.

kind regards,
Richard Grevis
Production Architecture
Barclays Capital.

For more information about Barclays Capital, please visit our web site at
http://www.barcap.com.

Internet communications are not secure and therefore the Barclays Group does
not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.  Although the
Barclays Group operates anti-virus programmes, it does not accept
responsibility for any damage whatsoever that is caused by viruses being
passed.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do
not necessarily represent those of the Barclays Group.  Replies to this email
may be monitored by the Barclays Group for operational or business reasons.