I have just entered an enhancement request and patch in bugzilla (bug #135) to
add wildcard support to the include directive of gmond.  This will allow the
include statement to process all configuration files within a directory that
matches the specified file pattern.  By doing this, the overall gmond
configuration can be modularized and modified without having to change the main
gmond.conf configuration file.  For example, a new metric definition could be
added to the configuration by simply creating a small .conf file that contains
only the definition for the new metric and copying that file to a conf.d
directory.  Then on the next restart of gmond, the new configuration will be
read and processed as if it were part of the main gmond.conf file but without
having to alter gmond.conf.

Please review this patch and let me know if this would be an appropriate
addition to gmond.

thanks,
Brad