Hi all,
I have found quite a few references in the archives to this general problem
, but nothing
that actually has helped me solve the problem...

My error, from /var/log/syslog:
Apr 20 10:43:03 selenium-s2 /usr/sbin/gmetad[5551]: Process XML (HarnessLive
- Selenium): XML_ParseBuffer() error at line 49: not well-formed

My environment:
ubuntu/edgy:
 -- setup 1: ganglia 3.0.4, compiled from .tar.gz
 -- setup 2: ganglia-monitor + gmetad versions 2.5.7-3  (ubuntu packages,
from archive.ubuntu.com)
These machines are dual-nics, each with one eth configured to a
192.168network that has quite a few other
machines on it -- these other machines are not yet running gmond, but will.
These machines are meant
to be replicated services, so they'll both be running gmond + gmetad + web
front end at some point.

On both machines, regardless of the setup, I have the same issue, so I'm
fairly sure this is
only a configuration problem.

My XML output from gmond looks great -- exactly what I put in the
gmond.conffile.

My XML output from gmetad is of course the problem.  Discarding the DTD, the
XML is:

<GANGLIA_XML VERSION="2.5.7" SOURCE="gmetad">
<GRID NAME="SeleniumFarm" AUTHORITY="http://munged/mon/ganglia/";
LOCALTIME="1177089707">
</GRID>
</GANGLIA_XML>

Line 49 corresponds to the line starting with <GRID .

I ran xmllint, as specified:

xmllint --valid --noout gmetad.out

And got no errors; it exited silently.

The Ganglia page recommends that I email this list, at this point, after
having searched the
archives, checked xmllint, etc.

My configuration files are somewhat different on the two machines, as they
came from different sources, but here's the summary from the 3.0.4 source
version:

----- gmond.conf ----
cluster {
 name = "FooBar - Selenium"
 owner = "ABC"
 latlong = "unspecified"
 url = "http://localhost/munged";
}

udp_send_channel {
 mcast_join = 239.2.11.71
 mcast_if = eth3
 host = 192.168.1.1
 port = 8649
 ttl = 1
}

/* You can specify as many udp_recv_channels as you like as well. */
udp_recv_channel {
 mcast_join = 239.2.11.71
 mcast_if = eth3
 port = 8649
 bind = 239.2.11.71
}

----- and so forth -----
Note: gmond seems to be quite happy with the multicast

---- gmetad.conf ----

data_source "FooBar - Selenium" 192.168.1.1:8649
# this configuration had no success either:
# data_source "FooBar - Selenium" localhost

gridname "SeleniumFarm"
authority "http://localhost/ganglia";

----- and so forth, all else is defaults --
no trusted hosts are configured (as localhost is always trusted).  Am not
sure
if I have to specify the 192.168.1.1 ip as a trusted host.

What concerns me is that the XML I'm getting from gmetad has a
GRID configuration that does not apparently correspond to any CLUSTER.
I haven't seen a lot of actual XML output posted in the archives, and I
haven't seen anything that gives me something to compare this with.
Should my GRID element be populated with CLUSTER elements?
The documentation indicates that gmetad 'decides' if the data source is
a grid or a cluster, and it should be a cluster (it should be listening to
the
gmond on the localhost/eth3), but the XML sure looks as though gmetad
thinks my datasource is s GRID.  One piece of the documentation mentioned
that my cluster would be 'wrapped' in a grid -- but I think my cluster is
being
lost.  To reiterate, the XML from gmond looks great -- stats everywhere,
cluster
name specified accordingly, etc.

Any help on this would be great -- as well as any descriptions of exactly
what the XML from gmetad *should* look like for a single-gmond data source
configuration.

-Jen