From: Michael Perzl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Nov 13, 2007 6:13 AM
Subject: Re: [Ganglia-general] Problems running ./configure with
gmetad on AIX 5.3
To: Anthony Fiore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Hi Anthony,

 the reason why with my 3.0.5 binaries you only saw pie charts and no
graphs was because rrdtool was core dumping all the time :-(   . This
took me a little bit to find out - not that rrdtool was core dumping
but the reason for it.

 My Ganglia 3.0.5 binaries are working fine :-)  .

 I hope to have this issue resolved by now. It was caused by my
dynamically linked version of rrdtool which did core dump always
because some shared library (/opt/freeware/lib/librrd.a) was missing
some symbols (actually the libtool was to blame here as it did
generate the library without resolving all symbols). An AIX one should
probably not use the "-berok" linker flag but make sure that the
library can resolve all symbols (basically, I had to add librrdupd.a
to the link line for librrd.so).

 I have updated the rrdtool section on my website at http://www.perzl.org/aix/.

 Please go to http://www.perzl.org/aix/index.php?n=Main.Rrdtool and
download the newest version 1.2.23-2 of rrdtool.

 Please note: I have also changed perl-rrdtool-1.2.23 to
rrdtool-perl-1.2.23 to be more "inline" with all other (Linux)
distributions. This means you should deinstall perl-rrdtool and then
install rrdtool-perl - if you have it installed anyways.

 Regards,
 Michael

 Anthony Fiore wrote:

Thanks for the info, Jeff.

Yhea, it's turning into a real project to get this compiled on AIX.

The 3.0.5 binaries from Michael Perlz work fine but only show pie
charts and no graphs.

Maybe I should try to tackle that separately before I go down the road
of Ganglia compilation on AIX :)

Will follow up in a separate email to the list for subject continuity
purposes..

Thanks,
Anthony