I'm looking for help in understanding if Ganglia can be used to monitor a
cluster relative to our needs.

Questions:

1. In our situation. each node has one or more application "instances"
running, where each application instance has an id and consists of a set
of daemons running on the node.  Thus app-1 may be comprised of one set of
instances of daemons a,b,c and app-2 may be comprised of another set of
instances of daemons a,b,c.  The question is, can Gangalia be used to
monitor instance specific information.  For example, say daemon "a"
produces metric "m".  We'd like to collect metric "m" from app-1 and from
app-2, where both apps are on the same node, and be able to tell which "m"
is which.

2. What is the size limitation of Ganglia collected data - limited by what
can fit into a UDP packet?

3. How does one programmatically get collected data?  Can our "collector"
application daemon easily listen for the reports or must polling be used?

4. Can the set of nodes reporting / collected be (programmatically)
changed on-the-fly?

5. Do all nodes have to have all information?  Can a hierarchy be
established so that only a small set of "authority" nodes be the keepers
of all information in order to minimize network traffic?

If this information is covered in a document somewhere, I'd appreciate a
pointer.

Thanks.

Lou.