I have also diagnosed the same problem. It seems me that memory allocated
by strndup calls are not freed in libmetrics/linux/metric.h I was in a
process of testing the code after putting some free() calls. Since now you
have informed that It has been allready fixed I wish to see the fixes in
3.0.7.

Thanks a lot for the solution. Should I wait for a day or two for a
release with patches or procedd to aplly the patches and rebuild gmond.

Kumar Vaibhav

>    This was already fixed in trunk about a week ago along with several
> other memory leaks that were more specific to 3.1 rather than 3.0.  We
> should probably just backport the trunk patch to 3.0.7 to maintain
> consistency.
>
> Brad

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Martin Knoblauch
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>  maybe attached patch (based on 3.0.4) can fix the leak. The daemon runs
>> and
>> reports metrics. It is of course to early to say.
>>
>>  When looking at the linux metrics file, I just realized  hom much code
>> duplication there is. Basically all funtion-groups that grok the same
>> /proc/xxx files should be rewritten to use common code. This ist true
>> for
>> cpu, load and network. Maybe others.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Martin
>> Martin Knoblauch
>> email: k n o b i AT knobisoft DOT de
>> www:   http://www.knobisoft.de

>>> 228:           devname = strndup(src, n);
>>> 238:                 net_dev_stats *ns = hash_lookup(devname, 1,
>>>
>>> 305:           char *devname, *src;
>>> 316:           devname = strndup(src, n);
>>> 326:                 net_dev_stats *ns = hash_lookup(devname, 1,
>>>
>>> 393:           char *devname, *src;
>>> 404:           devname = strndup(src, n);
>>> 414:                 net_dev_stats *ns = hash_lookup(devname, 1,
>>>
>>> 481:           char *devname, *src;
>>> 492:           devname = strndup(src, n);