On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Bernard Li <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:02 PM, Jesse Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Fixed, I think, in r1190.
>
> Almost.
>
> The per-host metric graphs' titles have hostnames before the
> metrictitle.  Now that we are using the long description for the
> titles, you are almost guaranteed to run out of space in the graph.
>
> Previously, per-host metric graphs simply have the
> metrictitle/metricname as the title -- hostnames weren't there before.

Which is inconsistent behavior relative to the rest of the charts.
Everywhere else, the "device" being plotted (a host, cluster, etc) is listed
as the title, and metric being plotted is listed in the legend.  Thus, the
change to make per-host metrics the same.

A large number of my hosts have fairly long names, and in some cases there
is occasional clipping when using the smallest chart size.  It isn't as bad
as you'd expect though.

What do you think about shortening the hostnames for display purposes (and
only display purposes in these charts?  In all charts, or just the small
chart size?  Do you think that removing everything after the first "." would
be sufficient?  There's only so much that we can do about long hostnames
though--users are free to name their hosts however they wish.  "
this-is-compute-node-001.compute-cluster.domain.com"  is a perfectly valid
hostname, although perhaps a bit silly.

--
Jesse Becker
GPG Fingerprint -- BD00 7AA4 4483 AFCC 82D0 2720 0083 0931 9A2B 06A2