>>> On 4/11/2008 at 4:24 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Bernard Li"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Brad:
>
> I decided to move the thread to ganglia-developers since it was
> evolving into a development discussion.
>
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Brad Nicholes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>  Yes, I think we need something like that for gmeta.  What I was thinking is
> to add another filter type.  Somthing like ?filter=delta or something like
> that, that would just project the delta since the last dump.  If both gmond
> and gmetad had a way to reduce the XML by just producing deltas, I think that
> would speed up the XML parsing a lot and also reduce the writes on the RRDs.
>
> AFAIK filtering only works with gmetad's interactive port and the only
> ganglia component which uses it is the web frontend.  So creating this
> new filter wouldn't really help with reducing the amount of XML being
> tossed between the daemons unless we modify gmetad to be able to talk
> to each other via the interactive port?  Or am I missing something
> here?

I think what I am suggesting is that we do a couple of different things.  First
add the new filter type to the interactive port to allow the frontend to be
more efficient.  Then in addition, we allow the user to configure a different
port for deltas only with the option to turn off the current 8651 port.  So in
other words, we could add some addition configuration to the port directive to
specify it as an XML_port (currently supported) or a delta_port (new type).
The other option would be to just add a delta_port configuration directive and
add the functionality.  I am assuming that as gmetad evolves, especially with
the python rewrite, that the current XML_port would become obsolete in favor of
the delta_port.

The next thing to do would be to add the same type of functionality to gmond so
that we aren't sending a lot of unnecessary data there as well.

Brad