Hi Brad:

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 11:01 AM, Brad Nicholes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   The rewrite of the gmetad is functionally complete and is currently sitting
> in the SVN repository of the Ganglia project
> (http://ganglia.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ganglia/trunk/monitor-core/gmetad-python/)
>  .  It currently replicates the functionality of the original gmetad with the
> exception of the pluggable interface which is functionality that the original
> gmetad did not have.  The RRD files, both the metric RRDs and summary RRDs
> are being written by RRD plugins rather than directly coming from gmetad
> itself.  There isn't any documentation on how to write a gmetad plugin yet,
> but the existing RRD plugins should give you a good idea of how it is done.
>
>   There is still a lot of stabilization work to be done as well as packaging.
>  One thing that still needs to be worked out is how to package and install
> the python version of gmetad along with the modules.  For now, it should
> probably be packaged separately from the rest of Ganglia and installed using
> standard python practices.
>
>   With this new rewrite in python, we now have the ability to plug in new
> metric storage modules to support other type of storage mechanisms other than
> RRD and also the ability to plug in any type of analysis functionality that
> would make sense at the gmetad level.  Try it out, fix a bug or two and try
> writing a module.  If you have any idea on how best to package and install
> the python version of gmetad, please comment or better yet, just do it.

I can't get gmetad-python to work with Python 2.3.4:

# ./gmetad.py -d10
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./gmetad.py", line 159, in ?
    format='%(levelname)-8s %(message)s')
TypeError: basicConfig() takes no arguments (2 given)

The code in question is:

logging.basicConfig(level=getLoggingLevel(gmetadConfig[GmetadConfig.DEBUG_LEVEL]),
            format='%(levelname)-8s %(message)s')

Looks like there are some API changes between 2.3 and 2.4.

Cheers,