>>> On 6/12/2008 at 1:34 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Bernard Li"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> Python < 2.5 is known to have some memory leak issues:
>
> http://evanjones.ca/python-memory.html
>
> This is what gmetad.py looks like after running for a day:
>
>  6184 nobody    16   0 2384m 1.6g 2580 S   51 79.2 361:24.00 gmetad.py
>
> (RSS = 1.6GB)
>
> This won't sit well with a large installation, where you most likely
> need the RAM for tmpfs.
>
> The particular system I am running has Python 2.3.4.
>
> Not sure if there is something in the code which we could tweak, but
> we might have to mandate that users use at least Python 2.5 and up for
> gmetad.py.

I am using Python 2.4.2 on SLED 10 without any memory issues so far.  It has
been averaging around 13 mb which is larger than the C version of gmetad but a
lot smaller than the 1.6GB you are seeing.  I'm not sure if there is much than
can be done in the code other than making sure that references to large data
chunks aren't left hanging around.

If we need to require a certain base Python version, I'm ok with that also.  It
will also help to keep the number of "if version < whatever" statements out of
the code.

Brad