On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 11:36:02AM -0700, Bernard Li wrote:
> Hi Carlo:
>
> http://ganglia.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ganglia?view=rev&revision=1438
>
> Do we really want the debug message to be "text/plain"?

not sure, but that is what was being output before (not correctly formatted
html) and so that was the obvious content type to use to match.

it is also easier to use as you can read directly without any transformations
the output of the http GET and expect a working command, plus you don't have
to worry about avoiding dangerous content in the output as the browser won't
do any processing in the output (not XSS problems).

> Previously it is "text/html" (default)

the default content to use is a webserver configuration, I presume in your
setup is probably text/html which is why you were not able to see the bug.
it is specially annoying if you happen to have something like
"application/octet-stream" instead and I am pretty sure has to be amusing if
it happens to be "audio/x-wav".

> and the text are wrapped such that you could
> see the entire command on the screen.  Now there is no text-wrapping
> and makes it hard to see the entire command in one go.

you also couldn't see the bug because your browser was nice enough to format
and wrap an invalid HTML file but that is also specific to your setup.

if you want to have it formatted and wrapped I would recommend doing that in
the code instead.  if that is the case HTML might be better, as it will also
allow for other formatting aids like fonts, bold and colors, but I think the
currently proposed setup is more practical for a debugging flag.

Carlo