On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 2:31 AM, Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 11:20:34PM -0700, Bernard Li wrote:
>> The code Jesse checked into trunk has introduced some formatting
>> changes to graph titles that are still being sorted out.
>
> is there any other ganglia developer list I should be aware of? do you

I discussed this with Jesse on IRC.

> care to provide some specifics?

There is now a gap between "$clustername Cluster" and "$metric last
$range" in the report graphs.

> obviously you didn't read my email below.
>
> there is nothing wrong with doing it on each of the graph.d specific files
> because this is not a "hostname conversion", but just a simple style
> transformation, like deciding which title to use.

The issue I see here is code duplication -- if the place to determine
whether to "transform" the hostname is in one place (conf.php), it
makes no difference whether the code to do this transformation is in
each graph or in ganglia.php as I suggested.

>> Jesse mentioned that
>> there are issue right now with $hostname being used as the file name
>> for the .rrd file.  We should instead take this opportunity to
>> implement a function to determine a UUID for the rrd filename (right
>> now it will be $hosname).  This way we can kill two birds with one
>> stone.
>
> this is just feature creep and unrelated to this issue.  it is also a very
> bad design decision to generate an UUID when you have one already (the FQDN)

Can you please explain how this is a "feature creep"?  This issue is
mentioned because Jesse said it can't be done in ganglia.php as the
$hostname is being used as the basis for the directory name to store
the rrd files.

And am I missing something here?  I thought we were going to implement
something to use UUID for the rrd directory:

And just the clarify, what I meant to say above is "$hostname being
used as the directory name to store rrd files".

Regards,