On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 03:25:50PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Using the following I am able to build a working gmond with modules:
>
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/csw/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

what is in /opt/csw/lib?, confuse and apr should had been in /usr/local from
what you explained before and so this shouldn't be needed to locate any
library dependency, unless it is libgcc what you are interested on, and this
might have the side effect of removing the full path reference in your binaries,
forcing you to have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH before you can start any of the
ganglia programs (or add it to the dynamic linker part with crle in an
intrusive system wide configuration) and it is better avoided.

if you really need to set a dynamic linker variable and the use of the
different --with-${library} (--with-libexpat, --with-libconfuse,
--with-libapr, ..) are not doing what they should then LD_RUN_PATH might be
a better temporary option until that bug is fixed.

> CC=/opt/csw/gcc3/bin/gcc CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include ./configure
> --prefix=/usr/local

just so it works also if you are using a "C" derived shell it is IMHO better
to stick to the syntax documented in the INSTALL file combined with the use of
--with-${library} options to help you setting up CFLAGS and LDFLAGS internally:

./configure CC=/opt/csw/gcc3/bin/gcc --prefix=/usr/local
--with-libconfuse=/usr/local

(*) this assumes apr-1-config is on the path and expat is most likely in /usr
or /usr/local and piggibacking in the --with-libconfuse, but since that is
dependent on the library testing order used in configure will be better to
also set --with-libexpat if that is the case.

> Is there any interest in getting Ganglia into Blastwave?

would be great; the only problem I see is that usually Blastwave compiles
everything with sun's compiler and that is sadly not supported for 3.1.0.

there is already support for Sun Studio 12 (tested in OpenSolaris 2008.05)
in trunk and a backport proposal for 3.1.1, and so that would be hopefully
only temporary though.

> I realise that
> it would first be necessary to have APR and libConfuse in Blastwave.
> Has anyone already investigated this or started working on it?

the only binary repository for Solaris packages that has ganglia now
is sunfreeware, and whoever is maintaining it is keeping up with the production
releases as it was recently updated to 3.0.7.

they also seem to have packages for all dependencies needed for ganglia 3.1.0
there but from what I recall when I tried to do some compile test using
their packages, their confuse package wouldn't link (most likely missing
dependencies and link references to the needed libraries to resolve them) and
so the README has a small section on Solaris trying to explain that sad fact.

so in summary, if you are just interested on getting a Solaris package for
ganglia 3.1.0 it will be probably coming from sunfreeware as they are almost
there, but if you are willing to do all the packaging work in blastwave that
is required then go for it, and hopefully we will see also someone jump in from
ibiblio (AKA sunsolve) and the other unofficial non SysV repositories that also
target Solaris like openpkg and pkgsrc as that would only increase the chances
of someone being able to run ganglia there without having to jump through
hoops.

Carlo