On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 07:38:15AM -0500, Martin Hicks wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:30:24PM +0200, Marcus Rueckert wrote:
> >
> > this is not the package version. it is the soname mangled a bit. the
> > base idea behind it is, that you can install multiple version of the
> > same library in parallel.
>
> Okay.  I guess I just don't see this very often.  Are we expecting to
> break library compatibility often?

Even if you break library compatibility there is no need for the soname
being encoded in the rpm name for the most current version. As it is now
during an upgrade libganglia-$soname will stay installed even if nothing
requires it anymore.

The common practice in the rpm world is to not to use the soname for the
latest version and have something like compat-ganglia-30 or libganglia30
for example for the older versions (no need to encode the minor version
since changes there don't break compatibility).

Kostas