Hi all:

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Ofer Inbar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I added a host to an existing cluster, and noticed the total number of
> CPU cores for the cluster fluctuate, so I tried restarting all the
> gmond's in the cluster... but that just made most of the CPU's appear
> to disappear from Ganglia metrics altogether.
>
> I narrowed it down to this:
>  each gmond only reports cpu_num for nodes that restarted after it.
>
> If I restart gmond on node1, it reports cpu_num for itself only, even
> though other gmonds in the cluster are reporting cpu_num for other
> nodes.  If I restart gmond on node2, node1 will now report cpu_num for
> itself and for node2 ... but node2 has now "forgotten" cpu_num for all
> other nodes except itself.  And so on.
>
> It's a catch-22.  I can't make them all see every node's metrics.
>
> Ganglia 3.1.0 on CentOS, using multicast only.

Since I have a 3.0.7 installation handy, Cos suggested I do an experiment:

1) WIth Ganglia 3.1.1, I restart a gmond that is not listed in the
data_source and I nc the host checking for the number of cpu_num lines
in the XML stream.  This number stays 1 until quite a while (maybe 10
mins).
2) With Ganglia 3.0.7, I did the same test as above, and immediately
after restarting gmond the number of cpu_num lines was already at 3,
and quite quickly grows in a matter of minutes

When I first tried 3.1.x, I always thought it odd that when I restart
a gmond, I had to restart *all* the rest of the gmonds to get the
right number of total cpus, I guess this confirms my suspicion.

If this is indeed a bug/unwanted new behaviour, please discuss this in
ganglia-developers.

Thanks,