On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 03:14:24PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I've started a Wiki page about this subject:
>
> http://ganglia.wiki.sourceforge.net/ganglia_gmond_native_windows

nice; as I mentioned before though, libmetrics is already able to build
natively in windows using mingw32 (cygwin without the cygwin1.dll) in trunk.

> This is a business requirement for us, so I will be spending some time
> on this myself.  Please feel free to add (or correct) anything.

a couple of comments that I think need clarification :

* the biggest problem with using WMI is not in the fact that cygwin is being
  used, but that WMI only has a C++ interface and ganglia is "C" and not able
  to cleanly build with a C++ compiler (some of those issues fixed in trunk)

* using native windows calls is possible even when running under cygwin (as
  shown by most of the metrics updates in 3.1 that replaced the original
  linux code that was being compiled over cygwin with windows native calls).
  trunk has already a mingw target that has no cygwin references at all, but
  is missing native implementations for some of the metrics.

* getting a mingw target for ganglia itself will require making the posix
  thread references used everywhere to build in windows natively, and also
  link somehow with libconfuse (which will only build in windows as a static
  library), the easier way to go with it will be to revive srclib and put at
  least libconfuse there to be used at least for this case (or for any other
  platform that would rather link statically to it with the right configure
  options like --enable-static-build), but that is a very sensitive part of
  the code/build system and some developers had some very strong opinions
  about it which IMHO aren't that rational and therefore difficult to deal
  with.

Carlo