On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 12:42:28PM -0600, Brad Nicholes wrote:
> * libganglia: mcast_if support in gmond (BUG140)
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/ganglia-developers@lists.sourceforge.net/msg03775.html
>
>     http://ganglia.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ganglia?view=rev&revision=1734
>     +1: carenas
>     -1: bnicholes
>     bnicholes: The patch appears to be dependant on rev. 1478 in trunk which
>       is not included in the backport proposal.
>     carenas: no, otherwise would had been included; see BUG140 for patch
>
> Carlo,
>     I don't understand your response.

Agree is a little concise as it was constrained by being in the STATUS file,
which is again a reason why I suggested we discuss the patches in the list
instead, as using email is a far more expressive medium and IMHO better
oriented to interactive discussions than commits in a file.

Thanks for bringing this to the list so we will hopefully had a faster way
to come to a conclusion on this issue.

>  Patch 1734 makes a call to the function join_mcast() which doesn't exist
> unless patch 1478 is also backported.

no; that is an svn merge problem which results in a conflict because as you
said. in trunk that function has been renamed.

the code in patch 1734 itself that is added doesn't call or depend on that
function at all and so the resolution for that conflict is to keep the
intended change from the patch, and preserve the function name (which is
actually from a nearby function even if svn seems to think otherwise)

to simplify testing, and provide a patch that could be applied directly to a
3.1 branch and that has the conflict already resolved BUG140 was updated with
a patch file.

the attachment patch itself can be retrieved from :

http://bugzilla.ganglia.info/cgi-bin/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=176&action=view

> So if you backport r1734 without also backporting r1478, the gmond code will
> be left unbuildable with an unresolved function call to a non-existent
> join_mcast() function.  Apparently r1478 renamed this function from
> mcast_join() to join_mcast().

shouldn't be an issue if using the patch provided, which has the right
resolution for the svn merge conflict and that avoids pulling this other
unrelated change and that is actually part of another backport proposal that
is not meant for this merge window at least.

Carlo