On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 08:57:13AM -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> We've tweaked some of the reports on an older version of the ganglia-web
> package so that they work with Windows nodes.

you mean a broken image?, just a warning in the web log because the
rrdgraph command is somehow broken by the missing data, or the fact that the
report is bogus?

> For example, cpu_report
> needs to test if the file cpu_nice.rrd exists, and use a modified
> rrdgraph command if there is no cpu_nice.rrd

cpu_nice should exist and be reported in windows (even if it might be
bogus or a 0 value like in load)

> I was about to start updating these patches to trunk, but I'm curious
> about what else is going on in this area - is any similar work in the
> pipeline?  Is there any imminent plan to overhaul this part of the code,
> making such work un-necessary?

All work we do is publicly available in trunk, and the only work that has been
done AFAIK was released with 3.1.0 and was the modular graph framework.

Reporting always assumes that all metrics are available for all nodes and that
they are all relevant and somehow equivalent, and as you mentioned before that
wasn't really a safe assumption considering multiple platforms, the
introduction of platform specific metrics and custom metrics in 3.0 and now
with 3.1, the introduction of modular plugable metrics.

As you said there is IMHO the imminent need for an overhaul of this part of
the code and your proposal might be at least a start.

Carlo