There has previously been some discussion about using the Debian 5
autotools (autoconf, automake, libtool)

In my own experiments with this, I've found a couple of issues:

a) libtool appears to be broken now on Cygwin - this appears to be a
libtool related regression - when compiling, it aborts with messages
like "Xgcc command not found".  The solution is to add this to libtool:

echo="echo"

b) 'make install' doesn't install shared libraries on AIX, although
bootstrapping with a newer autotools setup results in a successful 'make
install'

I'm not sure that we had this level of support for AIX before anyway, so
it may not be a regression - but the Cygwin issue is definitely a
regression.

Has anyone seen similar issues with libtool, not necessarily with
Ganglia?  Do we push ahead with the Debian 5 autotools, move to a newer
autotools, or revert to older autotools?

I've put up 3.1 r2252 at http://www.pocock.com.au/ganglia/test - please
let me know if any other platform is broken.  I've tested on Debian,
RHEL4, RHEL5, Solaris 8 and 10 and Cygwin myself