On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 05:55:26PM -0700, Bernard Li wrote:
> Hi Carlo:
>
> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 1:04 AM, Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon
> <care...@sajinet.com.pe> wrote:
>
> > bug is invalid, as it is the result of not indicating the right paths
> > to use for the dependencies, if installing them through ports.
> >
> > the proposed fix will only remove the "WARNING" from configure, which
> > is just a red herring since the code has all dependendant headers defined
> > correctly regardless of the results from configure but if you really want
> > to commit it, it wouldn't most likely do harm either.
>
> Initially I thought configure actually bailed with the warnings,
> however, checking with the user again this does not appear to be the
> case.

there are only warnings and they are mostly just informative with the
current implementation.

> So are you saying that if you did ./configure --prefix=/usr/local then
> the WARNING would not show up?

no, the WARNINGs are not related to which flags are used in configure
at all.

in order to get a working build though, ./configure must be instructed
where to find the dependencies (unless in /usr as usually happens in
linux), hence why the report that it was failing to build is invalid.

> AFAIK that's what the user did too
> (even though it was not specified in the bug report), so I just wanted
> to confirm.  If the warning still shows up it might be a good idea to
> check in the code if it doesn't break anything since less warning is
> good IMHO.

as I said before already, it wouldn't most likely harm either so feel
free to commit it so that a new bootstrapped snapshot could be tested
in all supported platforms.

Carlo