Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon <care...@sajinet.com.pe> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 03:23:40PM -0700, Bernard Li wrote:
>> Hi all:
>>
>> I'd like to request that we make one last 3.0.x bug-fix release and
>> EOL that branch.
>
> mostly everyone using EPEL packages in CentOS/RHEL is using 3.0 and
> so EOL than branch (like was done for 2.5 which was until recently
> all that was provided by debian and still what is distributed in
> by Novell) would be IMHO a bad idea.
>
>> This will make way for shifting 3.1 to maintenance
>> branch and creating a 3.2. release branch from trunk.
>
> if all you want is to have a 3.2 release branch (what would be the
> main feature on it, though?) then just do so; why affect 3.0 or 3.1
> but that decision?

I think that Bernard is just basically stating the obvious and would just like
to make the obvious, official.  There hasn't been any significant changes to
the 3.0.x branch in 2 years nor has there been a release in that long either.
The last release of from the 3.0.x branch was done by Bernard and I have a
feeling that he isn't really interested in doing any more.  So the fact that
there really isn't anybody willing to maintain the 3.0.x branch and that there
are no release worthy bug fixes or enhancements to it, the branch is
effectively EOL anyway.

As far as what would be new in 3.2, the sflow stuff is looking really cool.  I
would rather see it implemented as a module, but if it isn't and ends up in
gmond itself, that may be reason enough to call it 3.2.

Brad