Hello Ganglia developers,

I've been working on a Python module to monitor Apache Flume, and have run up
against a problem with the pre-defined name limits in mod_python.c.  The
py_metric_init_t struct only has space for 128 characters in a metric name, but
since Flume is written in Java, names can get pretty long - the longest we have
is
"SCEcollector2_sink.GunzipDecorator.Collector.GunzipDecorator.UnbatchingDecorator.AckChecksumChecker.InsistentAppend.StubbornAppend.InsistentOpen.backoffPolicy.CumulativeCappedExpBackoff.backoffMaxCumulativeMs"
 (208 characters).

Is there any particular reason this limit is set?  I have tried sending the
same data via gmetric and it works fine, so it doesn't seem to be a limitation
within gmond itself.  According to the great wisdom of Wikipedia[1], most
modern filesystems have 255-character limits.  Since all the metric names have
to be transformed into rrd filenames, would it make sense to up the limit to
251 (name + ".rrd")?  I'm willing to do the work and submit a patch, but I
wanted to make sure there wasn't anything standing in the way of making the
change.

Thanks,
Stephan Kemper

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems#Limits