Hi!

Before hand, If this is not the correct channel to propose new features,
please, let me know where should I post/send this. I couldn't find any
other way to do this, or I didn't look deep enough :)

I am currently using ganglia in a few EC2 instances, and as you may or may
not know, EC2 offers dynamic IPs by default. They have a service called
Elastic IP which lets you assign an static IP to an EC2 instance, but it is
currently limited to 5 IPs because of the current IPv4 allocation issue. So
if you have more than 5 instances running, you have to lobby Amazon to give
you more IPs which they do not free them easily enough.

It has happened to me, that my gmond instance that collects other instances
data (server A), has changed its IP a few times. Even though I've setup a
domain name in the udp_send_channel "host=" variable on my monitored
instances (server B), ganglia seems never to re-resolv the domain and thus
gets sending data to the old instance IP. (I don't get along with
programming languages, but I've found no clue that ganglia does re-resolves
DNS values).

If it is possible, as a way to adapt Ganglia to EC2 and other cloud
computing services that provide dynamic IPs and/or make ganglia more
dynamically adaptable and scalable within cloud services, I propose to
setup a new config variable and/or hard-code the re-resolution of the
'host=' value if it is a domain name.

The ideal configuration would be to let the user tune this variable (which
optimal option would be to set this option to the DNS record TTL) or make
this automated in the code, re-resolving DNS based on the TTL value.

Don't know how hard this is to do; if currently there is a solution to this
problem and I don't know about it; or if it is something you would have in
mind for upcoming releases. But, at least, I wanted to share a current
issue that I am experiencing using Ganglia in AWS. :)

Thanks!
Santiago