On 22/08/12 20:15, Jochen Hein wrote:
> Daniel Pocock <dan...@pocock.com.au> writes:
>
>> - RRD files are created using the UUID as a directory name
>>
>> If people have third party scripts that depend on HOST/@NAME being
>> resolvable, then they could run into trouble, but see my next comment....
>
> We are running Ganglia on a couple of Power-Systems. Each Box is a
> cluster in Xandria, the LPARs are identified by their hostname.
> We have scripts running and custom graphs that are looping over all
> clusters and all LPARs, so we have a single graph for all LPARs in a
> CPU-pool. Changing that user-visible identifier into some opaque UUID
> identifier seem not what we want.

Just to emphasize - these changes are on a private branch, they are not
about to appear in a 3.4.x release, so you won't have any sudden impact
from this.  However, testing the branch and suggesting how it could be
useful to you is very welcome, e.g. if a new HOST/@UUID attribute
appears, will that upset any script you use for XML parsing?

> Do you have some screen-Shots or a public instance, so we can see how
> this change is or is not user-visible in the webgui?

I will publish an example shortly, with a screenshot of some metrics
from an Android device.

> I'd like to have as many Ganglia defaults working for us, because it
> makes upgrading much less painful.

I believe that is the convention I've always followed with any release
branch (e.g. 3.4.[X+1]), only on a minor release (e.g. 3.[X+1].0) is
there a possibility of config tweaks.