1.    I'm looking at just starting network (and machine) monitoring. I've read
about ganglia and nagios and a little of cacti,

But most of the comparisons are quite out of date. The lastest I see is that
people use both - nagios for alerting and

Ganglia for graphing.

A)   Is cacti worth looking at?

B)   How about zabbix? I see that it stores its data in mysql and does polling
instead of pushing, but do I care? Seems like

Its been gaining a following?

2.    I installed gmond + gmetad and I was not getting any local measurements.
I read in various forums that gmond give

Lots of metrics out of the box. I ended up installing sFlow and now I'm getting
data. I have deaf=false and mute=false in config

Udp_send and udp_receive ports set. Am I missing something to get these stats?

3.    I have not read up on collectd or collect yet. Is it better to use these?

4.    I'm not sure when or how, but under /var/lib/ganglia/rrds/myCluster, I
have 3 directories
___SummaryInfo__ ,   myHostname and  localhost
            I understand the first 2, but it seems like localhost was created
when I created my own metric using gmetric
            Why is it not under myHostname?

            b) When I try with spoofing :  gmetric --name temp2 --value 44
--type int16 --units Celcius --spoof linux-6cyo:192.168.72.129
            it creates a new directory :  192.168.72.129

            c) When I try gmetric --name temp3 --value 44 --type int16 --units
Celcius --spoof linux-6cyo:127.0.0.1
            the new temp3.rrd gets created in directory :  192.168.72.129

            The only issue that I have with this is that on the ganglia front
end, I have to select a node of the cluster and
            I do not get these graphs with the standard ones and the standard
graphs on the localhost node are all blank.

            Any suggestions on how to get the new graphs to show up
automatically on the (default) linux-6cyo page?

5.    I've gone through the docs, but I still have not figured out how to
create custom graphs in ganglia, is there any tutorial

For 3.5.4 (latest)?

Thanks,
jon