Hi,

I am doing a little exercise on my setup and want to understand how do I
measure the rate of metrics that my gmetad is receiving at each data_source
level, what is the size of the data incoming and what is the payload
incurred by XDR?

To do this, I thought of making use of rrdcached(which is coupled to use
with gmetad) stats , that is helping me understand the rate of metrics flow
being received(like overall updates received per sec ) but apparently not
the size of the data. I would like to know this at the data_source level.
Any suggestions on how do I go about it?

I did a simple netcat (nc) on gmond data source' gmond port and directed
output a file and the xml size helps me understand the size of the data at
the data_source level. This is about like 70MB. Given the polling interval
I am using of 30secs, which means every 30secs, I am receiving 70MB of
metric data. But as the deployment grows, the number of nodes and metrics
being dynamic this size can grow and I do not really think of doing nc
myself everytime and figure out the size of the metric data would be good
to say. Can gmetad expose some sort of stats for itself like via a
listening interface in form of json or something like ?

I really think the monitoring system should expose some sort of stats
itself and be transparent about its actions. I think it would be good to
understand the deployment better and think upon improving the configuration
or code thereafter.

Thanks,
Nikhil