Problem with slope=positive is that Ganglia treats those as counters and creates RRDs that support counter values instead of slope=both which creates "gauges". Now problem is that if you use slope=positive you have to send your counter values more often than gmetad polls gmonds ie. every 15 seconds or more frequent. If you don't there will be polling periods where counter value is the same which RRD will obviously interpret as delta of zero. Hence I avoid using slope=positive since it's usually trouble :-(.