On 07/02/14 21:19, Adrian Sevcenco wrote:
> On 02/07/2014 09:46 PM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>>
>> Please feel free to add potential project ideas here:
>>
>> https://github.com/ganglia/monitor-core/wiki/GSoC-2014-project-ideas
> Hi! There were several discussions on the list regarding what i will
> mention and i will reiterate the basic points in order to have some kind
> of definitive closure regarding these and see if there are worthy of
> doing (either in GSoC or not)
>
> I will refer only to gmond framework:
> 1. Adding a string to globals similar to hostname named something like
> host_uuid; it can contain either a fixed (overridden) uuid or some
> automatic approach can be chosen (later) (with sensible defaults like
> empty); this could pave the way for have uuid-->metrics association
> instead of hostname-->metrics

I already have something like that on a branch, it is in the wiki somewhere

> 2. make cluster name be (also) a pool metric of the host; this could
> pave the way to have gmond aggregators (gmonds that gather data from
> devices in close network proximity but in different logical partitions
> (clusters)); something like this i think would be useful in clouds or
> distributed computing associations like the grid.
>
> I imagine/hope that these addons will have no impact on gmetad and are
> completely backward compatible.
>
> So, what the experts think?
> Thank you for taking this into consideration,
> Adrian

The only danger with (1) is that it involves changing the core agent.
Finding students with good C skills and supervising their work on the
agent itself is a little more demanding than supervising a student who
makes a plugin or some piece of work to complement Ganglia.

Could you comment more on (2)?  I frequently see requests from people
who want overlapping cluster aggregation.  For example, somebody may
want to be able to see aggregate reports for any of the following sets:

a) grouped by OS (Linux, Solaris, Windows)
b) grouped by vendor (Intel, AMD, ARM, ...)
c) grouped by role (production servers, test servers, development servers)