Hello forum,

I want to bring in your notice about the recent activity I have seen
which resulted from the scan of the machine running gmond service on
port 8649.

The scan was performed using famous nessus scanner and as result the
service crashes or the service was unavailable due to high CPU
utilization. The reason cited by support, was the service received
non-atmos application. Atmos? because this is what is used in our
environment which is powered by emc storage. Also, what more is said
is that "Note that gmond slave nodes not expected to receive package
from 8649 port".

So, in short an arbitrary data was send to the port and resulted into
crash and high cpu utilization. Further outputs shows:-

18968 root      20   0  354m  30m  19m S    100  0.1   5503:13 gmond
 6944 root      20   0 58904 1256  788 S      0  0.0  24:55.65 gmondproxy

The support from emc put this as

..."gmond service on the RMG1 nodes were returning obsolete metrics to
RMS and RMS thought those node are disconnected.
It is suspect gmond was stuck trying to receiving unexpected packages
from port 8649.

On RMG1 nodes (even gmond slave nodes), receive Q of that socket was
high and application is not reading data from it."

I want to know as dev are you aware of the known problems related to
service disruption caused by scanning these ports. If its a known
issue, I want to know where I can get update/patch for it.

I appreciate if you can explain the matter to me in some details.

thanks.
regards,
asad