On Aug 6, 2014, at 12:40 PM, Daniel Pocock <dan...@pocock.pro> wrote:

> I've noticed that in some fresh installs where the PHP module or CGI is
> not already enabled, my own package, ganglia-web, is not enabling it
> either and the PHP source code is being served to clients without being
> interpreted/executed.
>
> I'd like to tidy up the debian/control Depends field and the postinst to
> try and avoid this
>
> Is there any best practice for packages like this that use PHP,
>
> a) technique for enabling PHP support?
>
> b) preventing the display of PHP source code when PHP is not enabled?

It's not simple because apache + mod_php is only 1 way to deploy PHP. If I ran
nginx + php-fgci, i'd be pretty annoyed by ganglia-web requiring me to use
apache. (as the debian postinst script you linked to appears to do)

> To make matters more confusing, people who land in this situation with
> the Ganglia package usually see an error "Sorry, you do not have access
> to this resource.".  One of the first lines of code in the PHP is
> checking an ACL.

This doesn't sound right. If PHP isn't enabled, a user won't see this error.
(PHP would have to run in order for this to be the output.) They would see a
source-code dump, as you said.

> If PHP is not executed at all, the browser renders the
> error anyway.  Maybe we need something like this at the top of every PHP
> file:
>
> <?php
> if(1 > 2) {
> module or CGI support is not enabled.  Please check the web server.
> Ignore any other messages below this line.</h4></body></html>");
> }

PHP would have to run in order for this to work.

maybe something like this:

<?php
//
// Dear Mr. User:
//   If you can see this, then PHP is not configured correctly.
//
?>

alex