Hey all,

I am working on a python module for gmond.   I am following examples here:
https://github.com/ganglia/gmond_python_modules and the quick start guide
here:
https://github.com/ganglia/monitor-core/wiki/Ganglia-GMond-Python-Modules.

What I am trying to do specifically is SNMP poll a bunch of appliances for
various metrics.   These appliances can't run a gmond client or any other
client.   My thought process is to have a utility server that would run the
gmond agent with my custom python module to SNMP poll the various
appliances for the metrics that I want.   I am struggling in the following
two areas.

1.  I'd like to be able to specify an array of dictionaries that describe
the various remote hosts and SNMP OIDs i want to poll.   I would prefer to
do this in my module's pyconf file.  I was hoping to do this using the
param clauses in the pyconf, but they only seem to take a key value pair.
I would actually like to pass something like snmp_collection_set[] which
would be an array of dictionaries defined by the user.   This would let the
module users just specify which hosts and OID they want to poll in the
pyconf and make the module flexible.  I can get around the key/value pair
param limitation by passing a path to my own config file (like a yaml file)
as a value and then having the actual module code deal with it.   That
seems a bit hacky.   Is there a better / recommended way to handle this?

2.  As I am collecting the metrics for the remote hosts on my utility
hosts, the Ganglia website will show my utility host as the node name for
all the metrics.   That all makes sense since gmetad is polling the gmond
on my utility host and the gmond on my utility host is storing the
metrics.   Is there a way to override the hostname for the specific metric
I am collecting via SNMP?   I would like the Ganglia cluster to have a node
for each of the appliance I am polling via my SNMP module with its metrics
assigned to it.   It seems like it should be theoretically possible since
gmond can aggregate metrics from multiple hosts.   I am just not sure how
to get to get to this programmatically.

thanks in advance!