nik-

that is a great idea!  i would be easy to add that functionality to
ganglia but to be honest i didn't think about it before.  you're right i
assumed that ganglia would be used for gauges but there is also a need to
support other historical types.

do you have an idea of the Right way to implement data sources other than
gauges?  i'll put some mental energy to it to and add it.

right now i'm focusing hard on integrating the execution environment into
ganglia (along with globus integration, building a C/C++ API, and other
requests from users).  luckily i think this is a simple problem to solve:
use the present XML spec (or add an attribute to the METRIC element) and
create a special case which is recognized by ganglia-rrd.pl.

thanks for the ideas
-matt

Today, Nik Clayton wrote forth saying...