Andrew Gill wrote:
I'm trying to get Ganglia to work on Solaris 8, and
seem to be hitting my head against a wall.  I can
compile it without any problems, using gcc-3.2.

However, the gmond binary exits immediately (return
code 0) and no gmond process runs in the background. A 'truss' of gmond doesn't show any errors. The gstat
binary exits with a segmentation fault unless it is
run with the -h or -V options.

Didja run gmond with debug output on?

I'm pretty sure (I'd have to check) that my gmetric_init() code, as well as my configure patch, screams bloody murder if it finds library mismatches. In fact it should say, "kernel open failed, I am probably about to segfault" if it's trying to open a 64-bit kernel with a 32-bit kopen().

None of my Solaris development was with gcc 3.2. It was mostly with 2.95.2 and 3.0.1, on Solaris 8 (an E420R, in fact).

I *can* tell you that I have gmond running like a champ on about two dozen such systems...

Has anybody else encountered this situation?  Thanks
for your help.

No, but I'd sure like to hear more about it...