sun4u should be sun4u. I do all my builds on a Netra t1 and deploy the resulting binary on 20 E450s.

But they all run Solaris 8.

I am also the one "responsible" (if you can call it that) for Ganglia's performance (or lack thereof) on the Solaris platform. My development environment was gcc 3.0 on Solaris 8, testing on E450s and the aforementioned Netra.

If memory serves me correctly, the kstat and kvm_* calls don't actually have any OS-revision-specific magic numbers in them. kvm_* reads from /dev/ksyms for all its offsets and kstat uses a set of abstracted strings (as you can see in the gory debug output) to handle queries.

I'm a little disappointed that I didn't see my "kvm_read() failed, I'll probably segfault soon..." message in there, but that only pops up when a 32-bit kvm_read() sees a 64-bit /dev/ksyms. :)

I haven't upgraded my build box to gcc 3.2, although I probably should... maybe that would cause these problems to pop up.

And before you ask, I don't have a Solaris 7 SPARC box handy... :)

Although my code in solaris.c isn't the finest, it's been very stable and people have apparently been using it in production elsewhere without any major problems, so I am not going to put on my code spelunking hat quite yet...

Andy Crichton wrote:
Does anyone have 64bit solaris7 binaries of ganglia which will work on a
particular platform (sun E450 5.7 Generic_106541-18 sun4u sparc
SUNW,Ultra-4)?

I have managed to compile in most cases (various solaris 8 machines and a
solaris7) but this one platform is eluding me. I tried compiling with gcc
3.2 (sunfreeware.com) on this platform
5.7 Generic_106541-18 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60

thinking the interface would be binary compatible with the same major kernel
number?

The output from this when I run with debug level 100:

/etc/gmond.conf configuration
pthread_attr_init
creating cluster hash for 1024 nodes
hash_create size = 1024
hash->size is 1031
gmond initialized cluster hash
Using interface hme0
mcast listening on 239.2.11.71 8649
XML listening on port 8649
mcast_listen_thread() started 5
listening thread(s) have been started
listening thread(s) have been started
multicasting on channel 239.2.11.71 8649
Lookup up kstat:  km (unix?)='unix', ks (system_misc?)='system_misc',kn
(resulting metric?)='ncpus'
ncpus: kc is 1001203b0
ncpus: Just did kstat_lookup().
ncpus: Looked up.
ncpus: Kstat data type:  2, Value returned: 2, 0 0 0
ncpus: Kernel close.  Val returned: 2
metric_init: Assigning cpu_num value (2) to ncpus.
running update_metric_data() ...
Lookup up kstat:  km (unix?)='unix', ks (system_misc?)='system_misc',kn
(resulting metric?)='boot_time'
boot_time: kc is 1001203b0
boot_time: Just did kstat_lookup().
boot_time: Looked up.
boot_time: Kstat data type:  2, Value returned: 1034346475, 0 0 0
boot_time: Kernel close.  Val returned: 1034346475
Lookup up kstat:  km (unix?)='cpu_info', ks (system_misc?)='cpu_info0',kn
(resulting metric?)='clock_MHz'
clock_MHz: kc is 1001203b0
clock_MHz: Just did kstat_lookup().
ks: Not enough space
clock_MHz: Looked up.

Is there a way I can get this to work without compiling gcc itself on the
target machine ?

If there is an accepted way of building these I am happy to provide/maintain
solaris packages for ganglia as long as it isn't too painful.

Cheers
Andy Crichton

solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. The
contents are confidential and may be privileged.
Any views or opinions expressed are those of the sender and may not reflect the
views or opinions of the company and the company accepts no liability in
respect thereof.
If you have received this email in error please notify [EMAIL PROTECTED]
immediately.

http://www.star.net.uk