My IP multicasting background is a bit lacking, so I'll pose the question here.

Background:
I have a flat network space with 4 clusters of various sizes (16 - 72
nodes/ea.).  I'm monitoring each cluster individually (i.e. Penguin = nodes p1
- 16, Marvin = nodes m1 - m24, etc.)

Question:
Which configuration option (if either) would reduce the CPU interrupts on my
cluster nodes?
        a.  Configuring each cluster to use it's own multicast channel
(mcast_channel) through /etc/gmond.conf
        b.  Configuring each cluster to use it's own multicast port
(mcast_port) on one shared channel.

I'm currently doing (b), but I think (a) might help.

This isn't really a Ganglia question, rather an IP Multicast question.  Does
the CPU get interrupted for all multicasts, only those for channels it's
participating in, or only for channels/ports it's participating in?

My multicast knowledge all derives from DECnet and I'm trying to block that
out.  Thanks for any assistance or advice anyone might be able to provide.

Bill

Bill Kent
The Dow Chemical Company