Dave Bradshaw wrote:
 Dear Steve,

 Thanks for the advice.  I have done what you sugessted. I have also turned off
one of the gmetad daemons so it is now only running on the machine with the web
frontend.
 Now when I fire up the web frontend I get the following message: -

Ganglia cannot find a data source. Is gmond running?

 Any suggestions?

My only suggestion is Boilerplate Ganglia Troubleshooting Suggestion #3:

When something doesn't work, do what the daemon would be doing.

In this case, the metadaemon is trying to connect to the monitoring core specified in /etc/gmetad.conf.

So, log in to that box and crank up a telnet window. What do you see? Connection refused? The connection gets accepted and then dropped? The connection gets accepted and you get a DTD but no data? You get the DTD and *malformed* data? The answer will help tell you where you should aim in future shooting of trouble.

If the connection is refused out of hand, then either the monitoring core is not running, it's listening on the wrong port, it's configured as deaf, or something else is standing in the way of that connection being established.

If the connection gets accepted and then dropped, it's a trusted_hosts issue. Make sure you're feeding that monitoring core the right IP... check the debug output for more info.

This leads to Boilerplate Ganglia Troubleshooting Suggestion #2:

When there's something strange and it don't look good, turn on debug mode in whatever's giving you problems.

Combing through pages of debug output may not be as much fun as pizza and margarita shooters, but you can usually figure out what's going wrong based on that.

I'll let you guess what Boilerplate Ganglia Troubleshooting Suggestion #1 is. :)

Good luck!