Marcia Prescott wrote:
Thanks for the ideas.
I ended up looking through the log file.  It turns out
that the machine I have the metadaemon had a time of 5
minutes faster.  I suppose most people would have a
network in sync.  Anyway, because my metadaemon was
ahead, it would create a rrd for a metric, then try to
update it.  The update was illegal because the update
time was before the creation time.  After the illegal
update, it stopped looking through the XML data. Therefore, it was creating one metric each time through.

gmetad *still* considers that a fatal error?

I thought that the top-level RRD update function caught that now instead of erroring all the way back out.

This particular gmetad behavior was responsible for much of my pain and suffering with the metadaemon during its early days...

In my scenario, the problem manifested as gaps in *some* graphs but not in others, and frequently the summary data would be partially or entirely broken...

Anyway, just an FYI, as much for the archive searchers as anyone. Glad you found it! :)