Brooks Davis wrote:
On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 10:02:07PM -0500, Krishna Kumar wrote:

Hi,
I installed ganglia on my solaris (with gmetad).. when I try to start the
daemon, it gives me this error..

$ /gmond start
/etc/rc.d/init.d/functions not found

I've copied the gmond.init to /usr/sbin.. Is there something I'm missing
here??!!

/etc/rc.d/init.d/functions is a Linuxism.  You might have better luck
starting with the scripts I use in the FreeBSd port:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/ports/sysutils/ganglia-monitor-core/files/gmond.sh.sample?rev=1.1
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/ports/sysutils/ganglia-monitor-core/files/gmetad.sh.sample?rev=1.1

For solaris you will need to modify the code that sets the PREFIX
variable and remove the call to killall, replacing it with a pkill call.

!!! WARNING !!!
If you don't remove the killall call, it will kill all processes
including init.
!!! WARNING !!!

We should probalby figure out a better way to package the startup
scripts within ganglia so we can include appropriate ones for each OS
since there's no one-size-fits-all solution.

Didn't I, once upon a time, include a gmond.solaris init script of some sort with the Ganglia distribution?

I have one that works ... it's really nothing special, though...