Peter Schmid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> If an external processes is going to do the work.... why can't that
> external processes just work on the rrd files that are already there?
> I may be misssing something drastically obvious... but I have been
> kicking around that thought for awhile and just have not gotten to it.

You could do that, but you'll lose access to stuff in the XML data
like the REPORTED attribute. (Hm, could you check the modification
time on the rrd file instead? Or do the rrds get updated whether or
not the host has reported recently? I don't know.)

Additionally, I don't really fancy anything that places even more I/O
load on the filesystem containing the rrds.

--
Leif Nixon                                    Systems expert
National Supercomputer Centre           Linkoping University