I think I figured out the problem

This computer has two NICs..- the onboard one (en0) and a PCI GigE one (en1). The system is only connected to our LAN via en1.. en0 has nothing tied to it - it would appear that ganglia is talking / listening on en0, and not en1

somehow I need to get it to talk out en1 (or swap my network cables around....)

Chris