Hi Knut,

 there is supposed to be a README.AIX file in the 3.0.3 distribution.
This explains a few things.

 Basically, building with xlc is not supported. There are a few hints
on how to do it under 2.)

 And you absolutely need to build non-shared. That is where most likely
your core-dump comes from. Explained under 1)

Cheers
Martin

--- Knut Helleb� <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Regards,
>
> I'm trying to compile Ganglia 3.0.3 on an AIX 5.2 box using the
> native
> IBM compiler and have encountered two problems compiling and one
> fatal
> when running gmond.
>
> Compilation problems:
>
> 1. The compilation breaks on the file ./srclib/confuse/src/lexer.c at
> line 786 which stems from the lex file lexer.l line 82:
>
> #line 82 "lexer.l"
> cfg->line++; /* keep track of line number */
>          YY_BREAK
>
> saying "undeclared identifier cfg". I put in a "cfg_t *cfg;"
> declaration
> in line 696 and then the compilation proceeds.
>
> 2. Also, I need to use the "-qcpluscmt" switch allowing C++ comment
> style or else the compilation bombs in gmond.c
>
> 3. Running gmond always crashes with a SIGSEGV. The trace shows that
> the
> crash occurs when opening the /etc/gmond.conf file. A dbx session on
> the
> core file shows the crash seems to be related to the parser file
> "fix" i
> did in section 1. above. Here's the backtrace:
>
> (dbx) where
> cfg_yylex() at 0x1000af28
> cfg_parse_internal() at 0x1000821c
> cfg_parse_fp() at 0x1000a5a0
> cfg_parse() at 0x1000a684
> Ganglia_gmond_config_create() at 0x10006d58
> process_configuration_file() at 0x100036dc
> main() at 0x100004b4
>
> What's up here ?
> --

>        *         Knut Helleb�                     | DAMN GOOD
COFFEE
> !! *
>        * Hydro IS Partner ESI (Unix) Team         | (and hot too)
>   *
>        *                                          |
>   *
>        * E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       | Dale Cooper, FBI
>   *

> NOTICE: This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or
> previous
> e-mail messages attached to it, may contain confidential or
> privileged
> information. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person
> responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are
> hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of
> any of the information contained in or attached to this message is
> STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error,
> please immediately notify the sender and delete the e-mail and
> attached
> documents. Thank you.

Martin Knoblauch
email: k n o b i AT knobisoft DOT de