From: Martin Knoblauch [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 11 August 2006 12:12
To: Grevis, Richard: IT (LDN); [EMAIL PROTECTED];
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: ganglia-general@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Ganglia-general] Obtaining Immediate Interval Data From
Ganglia

Correct. Below code limits the sampling rate for the cpu*, load*, mem*
and net* graphs. Setting them to 0 will give you 1 second "accuracy". Or
"nice furry graphs" as Richard said (actually the "furriness" is what
the original authors wanted to prevent :-). Personally I doubt that
sampling load* and mem* at that rate. cpu* and net* may make sense.

 Richard, yes please file a report. Unfortunatelly I spoke to soon when
I mentioned that we should get rid of the intervalls at all. Reason is
that we need to compute differences for the cpu* and net* metrics (they
are rates after all). If we want to have sub-second sampling rates, we
need to use "getimeofday" instead of "time".

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> If you do want to do fast polling on the Linux or cygwin gmond, I
> found some hardwired code in there which effectively limits the
> polling rate
> for
> some metrics no matter what you put in the config files. (Sorry
> martin,
> have not raised a bug report yet). Anyway:
> > the code below is in the cygwin and linux metric.c files.

> > typedef struct {
> >   uint32_t last_read;
> >   uint32_t thresh;
> >   char *name;
> >   char buffer[BUFFSIZE];
> > } timely_file;
> >
> > timely_file proc_stat    = { 0, 15, "/proc/stat" };
> > timely_file proc_loadavg = { 0, 15, "/proc/loadavg" }; timely_file
> > proc_meminfo = { 0, 30, "/proc/meminfo" }; timely_file proc_net_dev
> > = { 0, 30, "/proc/net/dev" };
> >
> > char *update_file(timely_file *tf)
> > {
> >   int now,rval;
> >   now = time(0);
> >   if(now - tf->last_read > tf->thresh) {
> >     rval = slurpfile(tf->name, tf->buffer, BUFFSIZE);
> >     if(rval == SYNAPSE_FAILURE) {
> >       err_msg("update_file() got an error from slurpfile() reading
> > %s",
> >               tf->name);
> >       return (char *)SYNAPSE_FAILURE;
> >     }
> >     else tf->last_read = now;
> >   }
> >   return tf->buffer;
> > }
>
> I have set those timeout values zero, which works well and gives me
> nice spiky furry graphs.
>
> - richard

Martin Knoblauch
email: k n o b i AT knobisoft DOT de
www:   http://www.knobisoft.de
For more information about Barclays Capital, please visit our web site at
http://www.barcap.com.

Internet communications are not secure and therefore the Barclays Group does
not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.  Although the
Barclays Group operates anti-virus programmes, it does not accept
responsibility for any damage whatsoever that is caused by viruses being
passed.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do
not necessarily represent those of the Barclays Group.  Replies to this email
may be monitored by the Barclays Group for operational or business reasons.