----- Original Message ----

 That was the first thing I suspected and I have since modified the overflow
mechanism in my development version to just ignore samples when the overflow
happens. After instrumentation it showed that the data in /proc/net/dev was
bogus. This is due to this:

Happens only on 64-bit systems. Now, my fix kills the generation of the spikes,
but my RRD database is now tainted for another 12 month.

Cheers
Martin