Martin Hicks wrote:

> The configuration of gmetad has been modified to store the rrds in
> /dev/shm, but this directory gets very large so I'd like to move away
> from that.

Using tmpfs is pretty much your only option. As you discovered, the disk
I/O will bring most machines to their knees.

> Is there a way that I should be architecting the configuration files
> to make ganglia scale to work on this cluster?
>
> I think I want to run gmetad on each head node, and to use that RRD data
> without
> regenerating it on the admin node.  Is that possible?

This is definitely possible, though I don't think it's necessary. I have
  machines handling 1500 reporting nodes without problems, writing the
rrds to a tmpfs.

The downside of setting up ganglia with head nodes is that you have to
set up some way to make the rrds available to a central web server.
Several ways to do that too, but they introduce their own headaches.