----- Original Message ----

> From: "Witham, Timothy D" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Tim,

 the problem is that with NICs faster than 1000 Mbit, the naturally occuring
wrap-arounds will come too frequently (especially for the byte counters) and
will trigger the remove mechanism and really mess up the data. The better
solution would be to bring the networking counters in the Linux kernel to
64-bit (they are 32-bit right now). Then we would not have to care about
natural wrap-around for a few years. I once proposed this change, but it was
not greeted with much enthusiasm :-(

 Therefore I #ifdef-ed my check. Especailly as the effect seems to be really a
very NIC specific bug.

 Escobio -> what NICs are in the systems in question (all the same?). As I
undertand, you are using some 2.6.9 kernel?

Cheers
Martin